[78-L] Total Recall

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 23 19:29:48 PST 2010

david.diehl at hensteeth.com wrote:
> Dan Van Landingham wrote:
>> I recall that the later Shaw recording featured a solo by Tony Pastor.I was of the impression that
>> Georgie Auld took all of the solos from 1939 onward. Auld did the hot solos on new charts but airchecks have Pastor still soloing on older material as well as
> on the more melodic numbers.
>
>> And Victor screamed bloody murder when Shaw recut Begin the Beguine and Musicraft had to replace that side. I believe the album containing it IS rare. On the other hand, I have it and so does a disc jockey in Edmonton.
> DL
> Musicraft dragged it's feet until RCA finally agreed to let the first pressing sell out, 30,000 copies. Rarity may be due to breakage, they were pretty awful product. Did the labels indicate they were from an album? My single doesn't show anything that looks like a set number.
> DJD

No album number on the labels but Musicraft 389/392 are an album set, S2: Artie
Shaw Plays Cole Porter. 391 is Begin the Beguine/You Do Something To Me. Later
pressings replace Beguine with Love For Sale. Bill Korst's discography says
"withdrawn almost immediately after issue", you say after 30,000 copies were sold.

Shaw went to Victor in late 1945, not '46..my goof.