[78-L] Total Recall

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Sat Jan 23 17:02:55 PST 2010

 It is true that he had a difficult relationship with RCA. They were not
thrilled with his 12" recordings of the Paul Jordan pieces and the Eddie
Sauter "Summertime/Girl With the Flaccid Air, and they didn't like that he
rejected most the pop tunes he was offered to record, sticking with older
pop songs he liked. In fact, history has been very good to Shaw. The
majority of his 1945-6 book was recorded by Victor. I cannot recall another
band where almost  its entire library was preserved for posterity by a
commercial record company.