[78-L] Birth of Rock 'n' Roll

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Jan 12 15:02:20 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cary Ginell" <soundthink at live.com>
>> When I mention "The Big Band Era," I am referring to when big bands were
>> the most popular genre of music favored by the general public. By the
>> 1950s, that had gone bye-bye. Namby-pamby vocals by the Perry Comos of
>> the industry ruled in the early 1950s, giving way to rock 'n' roll by the
>> mid-50s. But big bands were long considered passe by the public by then
>> and bands didn't monopolize the best-selling charts in the 1950s. I think
>> the only big band hit of the 1950s was "So Rare" by Jimmy Dorsey. Of
>> course there were great big bands in the '50s - I loved the Basie band
>> that featured Neal Hefti compositions and arrangements. Terry Gibbs'
>> Dream Band was probably the most exciting kick-ass band of them all,
>> starting in 1959. And Quincy Jones continued with some great big band
>> charts in the 1960s. But big band music had become niche programming by
>> this time.

Popular music sunk into its nadir around 1946-47, and stayed there until
younger
folks, tired of the waltzes and "pseudo-ethnic" records of that miserable
(musically,
anyway?!) period! Little did they know that there was much better music to
be
found among "race records...at least until Freed and a few other deejays
started
airing it...?!

The music had been there all along, but it was so rigidly segregated that
young
white folks VERY rarely heard it...!

Steven C. Barr