[78-L] Birth of Rock 'n' Roll

Matthew Duncan recordgeek334578 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 12 16:35:50 PST 2010

I have always liked that record....and I agree it is often ignored by people naming the 1st R&R record....but my opinion rests with "Roll Em Pete" by Joe Turner and Pete Johnson....I reckon this is neglected as it is

a) so early
b) not a band record - even though plenty of rock n roll and rockabilly only have two performers and many more only have three - the standard RAB outfit of two guitars and a bass...

but I think there are style elements that can be linked directly to later rock and roll....and the lyrics...how often have lines or full verses been taken from Roll Em Pete post 1938??!!!  in fact many of the lyrics in Roll Em Pete in turn go back to the 20s or earlier ...

Matthew.