[78-L] Mainstream radio in the '60s

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Mon Jan 11 11:32:39 PST 2010

"Begin the Beguine" was written for Broadway. It made its debut in "Jubilee" in 1935. The song had not reason to be a hit. Porter abandoned the 32-bar Tin Pan Alley format for a song with no verse, no release, and an uninterrupted chorus that lasts 108 measures. In 1972, Alec Wilder pronounced it the longest popular song ever written. It has always challenged vocalists over the years. Its versatility started to show in the film "Broadway Melody of 1940" when it was sung opera-style by Lois Hodnott, then in swing style by The Music Maids, and finally to accompany Fred Astaire and Eleanor Powell's tap dancing. Porter may not have planned it that way, but "Begin the Beguine" was written to last for years because of its complexity, unusual structure, and adaptability. Can you say the same for "Hanky Panky" by Tommy James & the Shondells?

My baby does the hanky panky.
Yeah, my baby does the hanky panky.
My baby does the hanky panky.
My baby does the hanky panky.
Hey, my baby does the hanky panky.

My baby does the hanky panky. (Yeah.)
Yeah, my baby does the hanky panky.
Hey, my baby does the hanky panky.
My baby does the hanky panky.
Hey, my baby does the hanky panky.

I saw her walkin' on down the line. (Yeah.)
You know I saw her for the very first time.
A pretty little girl standin' all alone.
"Hey, pretty baby, can I take you home?"
I never saw her, never, ever saw her.

My baby does the hanky panky.
Yeah, my baby does the hanky panky.
My baby does the hanky panky.