[78-L] Tenor Sax Styles.

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jan 9 08:41:56 PST 2010

Taylor Bowie wrote:

> I don't find  Dick Wilson ordinary...he has a floating kind of tone which is
> unique to my ears.   With  those Andy Kirk records everybody seems all het
> up about Mary Lou Williams,  but I listen for Dick Wilson's contributions.

> Taylor
==========================
I've just played a few of the better Kirk sides, and they don't move me
at all, Wilson or any of the other soloists. The band is too "tight",
and I don't mean in the musical sense, but being unbending rhythmically.
inflexible.

A couple of tenor players I have an affection for are Henry Hagemann,
who plays on the Danish Jam Session with Asmussen and Oscar Aleman
(1938), kinda "rootie-tootie", and Jascha Trabsky, who I believe was
Russian, who's on the Freddy Johnson-Lex Van Spall sides of 1934. He's a
"swashbuckler"! In fact, everyone plays well on this session.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4756 (20100109) __________

http://www.eset.com