[78-L] Is it Tight Like That?

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sat Jan 9 10:28:06 PST 2010

> I've just played a few of the better Kirk sides, and they don't move me
> at all, Wilson or any of the other soloists. The band is too "tight",
> and I don't mean in the musical sense, but being unbending rhythmically.
> inflexible.

>      Julian Vein

I agree with Julian about the overall sound of the Kirk band...Wilson is the
only reason I ever play them.  I continue to be lost when it comes to the
piano playing of Mary Lou Williams...I  hear the "tightness" in her playing
which Julian mentioned and it bugs me.

Taylor

P.S.  Don't like the singing of Pha Terrible either.