[78-L] Svend Asmussen [was An AMAZING Jzz DVD by a guy you (probably) never heard of]

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jan 9 07:55:52 PST 2010

Jeff Sultanof wrote:
> Yes, Svend is indeed a legend in the jazz violin world, someone who is
> discovered and rediscovered when the subject of strings in jazz comes up.
> Ellington produced an album with Svend that was on CD (it may still be) when
> he was a roving jazz producer for Reprise. The sessions were originally
> issued on Atlantic; I believe it was called "Jazz Violin Summit." I have to
> look for it now.
>
> Now I have TWO DVDs I have to buy that feature jazz violin, this one and the
> Grappelly DVD, which is also wonderful.
>
> Jeff Sultanof
==============
He also did a set the previous year (1962) with John Lewis for Atlantic.
How many musicians can have claimed to have recorded "I've Got A Lovely
Bunch Of Coconuts", "If I Knew You Were Coming I'd Have Baked A Cake"
and Ornette Coleman's "Lonely Woman"?

Looking through his wartime discography I notice he was quite busy, and
also recorded some things you thought would have been banned: "Negro
Medley", "Deep In The Heart Of Texas", "Gershwin Medley", "My Curly
Headed Baby"

       Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4756 (20100109) __________

http://www.eset.com