[78-L] Music Survey Recording

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 21:11:40 PST 2010

I had the Crosby record in question. The sound quality is okay on both
sides, not spectacular like what was coming out of a studio like Radio
Recorders at that time. It actually sounds like it is a dub and not a
master. Of course we don't know whether the reviewer heard a DJ copy or an
actual pressing as found in stores. I've never seen a DJ copy of an ARA
release, so don't know if there was much difference. The early ARA releases
I've heard were pretty good quality-wise, the later ones not so good. That
figures if the label was going downhill, and that one went downhill fast.

If you want to talk about bad sound on post-war 78s, let's bring up some of
the early Mercury pop releases. I had a Starlighters disc of On the
Boardwalk/A Little Kiss Each Morning, and it sounds like it was beautifully
recorded but transferred at a very low level, so there is lotsa surface
noice. The chance of this side being reissued is slim at best, so I may take
my tape of it and run it through some computer software.

Jeff Sultanof

Actually the review on this page that did catch my eye is the one right