[78-L] Music Survey Recording

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Jan 8 21:37:48 PST 2010

I would think that ARA was like most record companies in the 40s, with masters
being recorded on 16" lacquers and dubbed for 78 issue. This gave the company a
backup, an extra source, the opportunity to make the material available to AFRS
in good sound (I have at least one alternate of a Hoagy Carmichael recording on
an AFRS transcription), source material for other formats (I'm sure they were
aware that when plastics were available, some form of disc other than the 78
would be feasible)..even Victor's DJ issues appear in many instances to be
different cuttings. And I've had a couple of ARA recordings as reissues on REM
(also known as REX Hollywood), and the cuttings are definitely different,
likely derived from the 16-inch originals. For that matter I've had Majestics
reissued on Varsity and Mercury with much better sound than the originals (yes,
folks, he actually did cite Varsity issues that were superior to the Majestics,
by Louis Prima). There's even a Mercury reissue of Alfred Newman conducting
"Street Scene" where you can hear cue scratch from the original lacquer. (You
were never supposed to back-cue lacquers! I bet they had fun marking the start
points and trying to do side joins on the fly when they were dubbing the first
classical LPs over at Columbia. I know they didn't always make it.)

dl