[78-L] Music Survey Recording

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Jan 8 20:59:41 PST 2010

From: david.diehl at hensteeth.com
> There's a review in Billboard Jun 15, 1946 page 33. Apparently
> there was a survey sent to DJ's along with the disc.  DJD

Since Bill McClurg actually has the record, perhaps he can tell us
whether it is a good record!  Was it a worthy example to do a survey on?
 The Billboard review only says that "That's My Home" is
"sympathetically sung" and that "Monkey Monkey "is a dilly ditty that
may catch".

Actually the review on this page that did catch my eye is the one right
next to it for Bob Crosby record on the short-lived ARA label, 137,
Cement Mixer/Where Did You Learn To Love?  Considering the question
Julian asked yesterday about whether critics commented on bad sound
quality of records, here is a great example!  "Coupling Gordon Polk's
vocal fling as Slim Gaillard's nutty novelty, 'Cement Mixer,' with the
maestro's lullabying on the flipover, disk may have much merit.  It's
hard telling, tho, because faulty reproduction hides it from the needle.
 If you can't hear it, better pass it up."

How's THAT for a lousy review of sound quality!!!!  There's another one
later in the column about Raymond Scott's Sonora 3008, "Mr. Basie Goes
to Washington".  "However, one fault noted is failure of mike to bring
in Johnny Guarnieri's piano filigree properly.  More attention from the
sound engineer would have made this side great."  Pickey pickey pickey.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com