[78-L] Tenor Sax Styles.

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Fri Jan 8 11:12:52 PST 2010

----- Original Message ----- > ===========
> Another Seattle tenor player was/is Gerald Brashear, who recorded with
> Cecil Young in 1952. His core style was based on Allen Eager, but his
> solos moved from that to a stomping style and then on to something like
> those West Coast honkers like Wild Bill Moore.
>
>      Julian Vein

Yes...Gerald is on that Cecil Young LP "A Concert of Cool Jazz."  As I
recall,  Gerald also does the vocal on their semi-hit "Who Parked The Car."

I knew Brashear's ex-wife...she and I drove at the same cab company here in
Seattle back in my early younger days.

I don't find  Dick Wilson ordinary...he has a floating kind of tone which is
unique to my ears.   With  those Andy Kirk records everybody seems all het
up about Mary Lou Williams,  but I listen for Dick Wilson's contributions.

I also like Chu Berry's ballad style...his sides on Commodore with Roy
Eldridge and others show both his jazzy and his pretty side to great effect.
I enjoy comparing Berry's Body and Soul with the more famous Hawkins
version.  I like 'em both.

One of my favorite Hawkins solos on record is the little almost toss-off he
does on that 1945 (?) all-star record on Capitol of "If I Could Be With
You."  Nat Cole is also on it,  vocal by Kay Starr.  It's sort of
mild-mannered for Hawk,  which may be why I like it so much.

Taylor