[78-L] Tenor Sax Styles.

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jan 8 01:43:26 PST 2010

Taylor Bowie wrote:
> Hey Dan,
>
> I love both Bob Carroll and Dick Wilson...Wilson was from Seattle,  and was
> long-remembered around here by old-time musicians.
>
> The late and remarkable Lucky Thompson died here in Seattle a few years
> ago...he had become quite reclusive and was almost a street person...very
> sad.  His work with the Oscar Pettiford big band on ABC-Paramount in '56-'57
> is  magnificent.
>
> I also like Allen Eagar's work,  esp. with Navarro.

> Taylor
Another Seattle tenor player was/is Gerald Brashear, who recorded with
Cecil Young in 1952. His core style was based on Allen Eager, but his
solos moved from that to a stomping style and then on to something like
those West Coast honkers like Wild Bill Moore.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4752 (20100107) __________

http://www.eset.com