[78-L] Silent Night

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Jan 8 01:09:49 PST 2010

From: DAVID BURNHAM <burnhamd at rogers.com>
> So the Elsie Baker side of 19823 is acoustic?? db

I think we just don't have the info on the electrical recording session
and take.

> P.S.  Has anyone noticed that on one, if not two, of the usually worded versions
> by Bing Crosby, he sings the last line as "Sleeps in heavenly peace." rather than
> the more common "Sleep in heavenly peace."?  I was surprised to hear that but when
> you think about it, it makes more sense.

Interesting point. It would depend on who is sleeping.  The line before
in this translation is "Holy infant so tender and mild."  If it is the
baby who is sleeping, sleeps does make more sense.  But if it is a
admonition for the listeners to sleep in heavenly peace this night (as I
always interpreted it) than sleep is more correct.  I'm trying to
remember what the line is in German.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com