[78-L] Turntable repair question (was Re: Cheap Turntables (Up to $600))

bradc944 at comcast.net bradc944 at comcast.net
Wed Jan 6 08:27:00 PST 2010

I have played around with a couple of the USB-turntables and all I can say is one word: BLEAH!  I have a few Duals here, but they're in reserve duty, mostly because of the ELAC Miracord 4-speed I have running right now (which does well, except for the inability to vary the speed).

Which brings me to my question: I have a Fons CQ-30 sitting here that won't spin up.  It was my wonderful-turbtable, with three individually variable speeds.  Someone advised that by using a thin syringe (such as what would be used to inject insulin) I could get the motor to turn, as perhaps a bearing had packed up... would this be a good try to get it running again?  Fortunately there is an outfit here that will attempt turntable repair (Gold Audio), but their tech is more into attempts than actual repairing (at least that was the impression I got when I last went in there...)...

Any input appreciated... I have some nifty Soviet 8" vinyl 78s that are begging to be transferred... :)

Thanks!

Brad