[78-L] Cheap Turntables (Up to $600)

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. bratcher at pdq.net
Tue Jan 5 21:36:43 PST 2010

My only experience with a Shure cartridge & 78's is the Shure V15
type V-MR which is a fairly good LP cartridge but only fair with most
78's using the N78 needle. Oh it works for 78's if they are not
warped but I suspect a different brand would do better. I wonder
about the Shure

M78S Wide Groove Monophonic Cartridge

The reviews on Amazon are pretty good & it will track up to 3.5
grams. Does anybody have anything to say about the M78S cartridge? Or
is it one of those "don't waste your time & money" things?