[78-L] Question about insurance

Malcolm - Venerable Music malcolm at venerablemusic.com
Sun Jan 3 11:23:01 PST 2010

Yea, I recently had the same experience on eBum although it was from a
non-recognizable seller who has since had his account cancelled.
I won a rather expensive record (Bay Rum Blues by Ashley & Foster on
Vocalion) and as I always do, sent proper packing instructions along with my
payment (which I received a disgruntled "I know what I'm doing" reply to).
When the box arrived, it was obviously mishandled by the postal service, so
I crossed my fingers as I opened it up. When I found that the record was
taped between 1 square (each side) of cardboard that had obviously been cut
from a used box (as it was creased where the old box would fold), and was
only sparingly padded with wadded up plastic grocery bags, my heart sank!
Sure enough, it was in three big pieces!

I notified the seller that the record was broken & I wanted to return it for
a refund. He then instructed me that he had purchased insurance (out of his
own pocket) and I could file a claim if I wanted. Just to check out the
situation, I followed up through the postal service, and indeed, the
receiver of the damaged merchandise can file an insurance claim. Here is the
kicker, it takes up to 60 days for them to respond at which point they can
refuse to pay the claim if they deem the item was packaged improperly! Well,
when paying by Paypal (which is all you can do on ebum these days), you can
file a dispute within 45 days that the item arrived significantly not as
described. At that point (after the seller has a chance to respond), you can
send the item back with delivery confirmation (or some manner of tracking)
and paypal will put the money back in your account once they confirm it has
been delivered.

I then instructed the seller that he could also file the claim for the
broken record at which point they could deny him coverage because of
improper packing, but I would not be on the hook for it. As far as I can
tell, the only time postal insurance really works in if the package is lost
in space?? Anyone ever successfully file a claim for a damaged item & have
the postal service pay out? If so, how long did it take?

Really, if it were any kind of reputable seller, he should have just
refunded the money. At most asking for the seller to return the damaged item
so he could pursue an insurance claim. I have received other broken records
in the mail before and most sellers refund your money with very little
hassle - myself included.
In fact, if it does show up broken, I usually feel that it was due to my
faulty packing as it should be strong enough to stand up to that angry
gorilla and survive!

Taylor, if your friend is still having a problem, tell him to open a dispute
through paypal - but it must be within 45 days (I think), so don't delay too
much!

Malcolm
(the other, other one in Georgia)

Venerable Music - http://www.venerablemusic.com/