[78-L] STEREO<<<<>>>>PHONIC SOUNDDDDDDD ^

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 2 07:48:02 PST 2010

David Lennick wrote:
> Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. wrote:
>

>> Sound in cinema nowadays is more for effect than for reality.
>>

> I resisted seeing "Star Wars" until 1982, when I was by myself in Edmonton and
> had nothing better to do. Went to a double bill of Star Wars + The Empire
> Strikes Back up on Capilano. The music (and its spread throughout the
> auditorium) was the only good thing about the first picture. I got up and
> walked out after 20 minutes of more of the same in #2.
>
> Boy, I bet I'll get flaming messages after this one! Sorry, if it ain't Ray
> Bradbury, the hell with it. (Taping Fahrenheit 451 as we speak..betcha Benny
> Hermann's score will be the best thing about it, although Julie Christie isn't
> to be sneezed at either.)

I think there were apogees in the art of recording. Would I be out of
hand to assert that the studios at Apple were second to none during the
production of the Beatle's "White Album"?
Some of the early stereo stuff is still astounding. My father just asked
me to find an unusual version of 1812 Overture with Igor Buketoff which
was from about 1968, in RCA. I found a more recent version on CD. He
said his record was made during the vinyl crisis and it is full of pits
and pocks. I digress...
I recall a very early version of 1812 with live cannons that seemed to
shoot right through the living room walls on my dad's system with center
channel and a set of rear speakers which used to be driven by a Sansui
rear amp/synthesizer.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.