[78-L] Chap new turntable

S&R Pinsker spinsker at erols.com
Fri Jan 1 20:58:16 PST 2010

I purchased the Audio-Technica TT from Amazon couple years ago.
Substantial unit and it cost more than twice the Numark. My version
came with burning software and no USB cable. Was it on this List or
elsewhere that there were a number of comments suggesting that
audio quality via a USB connection was vastly inferior to connecting
to the line in jack of a sound card?
AFAIK, AT does not have a 78 stylus for the supplied mag cartridge
(elliptical microgroove stylus included) but the arm takes a standard
headshell.
I'm sure the purists will not approve of my method, but at this time I
can not physically connect the TT to the computer without a major hassle.
I copy discs to a VHS tape and have a second VHS deck at the computer.
I wonder just how much that "degrades" the sound?
Bob P