[78-L] Chap new turntable

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Jan 1 21:08:12 PST 2010

S&R Pinsker wrote:

> I'm sure the purists will not approve of my method, but at this time I
> can not physically connect the TT to the computer without a major hassle.
> I copy discs to a VHS tape and have a second VHS deck at the computer.
> I wonder just how much that "degrades" the sound?
> Bob P

Probably adds a lot more crud than you think, and unless the VHS has adjustable
volume, there's compression and background noise as well. I haven't been able
to find a VHS recorder with level indicators and adjustable audio for a few
years now..a Philips combo machine I bought last year has no adjustments but
doesn't screw around with the levels either. (I like level controls simply
because my digital cable system's levels are all over the joint from one
channel to the next.)

My method isn't that pure either, but it's digital..I still transfer to DAT,
where I can correct false starts or re-start tracks that skip or wow and I can
re-do the start points before transferring the finished program to CD. I'm also
due for a new computer, this one having been assembled during a previous
millennium.