[78-L] STEREO<<<<>>>>PHONIC SOUNDDDDDDD ^

Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. citroenid19 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 1 20:13:47 PST 2010

David Lennick wrote:
> We discussed wide stereo sound on movies shown on TV a couple of years ago, and
> I cited Mister Roberts as having audio that bounced all over the place. Great
> in a theater, rotten on television. I just found one that was worse..The Left
> Hand of God, which TCM ran the other night. Nice wide 16:9 CinemaScope, great
> sound on the music, ludicrous panpotting on the voices..following the
> characters as they moved from the side to the center, following them when the
> angle changed, and even spreading them out wide when Bogie and Tierney were in
> the middle of the shot.

Sound in cinema nowadays is more for effect than for reality. The
"surround sound" I heard from some of these crappy home systems is far
inferior to the full, much more natural sound I get from my 30 year old
Yamaha receiver hooked up to an inexpensive Radio Shack subwoofer, a
pair of Klipsch shelf speakers, an old quadrasonic box and a pair of
mediocre floor speakers in the back.
Used to have true quad for a time.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)