[78-L] 78 album covers (was Album Covers & Sleeve info) (was: Alex Steinweiss article)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Dec 29 22:43:24 PST 2009

From: "Steven C. Barr" <stevenc at interlinks.net>
> Decca issued a series of "The History of Jazz" albums...
> very low numbers, IIRC.

The 1942 Decca catalog specifically describes A-182 Anthology of Colored
Jazz "Another in the Decca series of historical jazz albums"  I don't
see this description elsewhere, but I assume they are including  A-183
Anthology of White Jazz.  Other possibilities are A-144 New Orleans
Jazz, A-137 Boogie Woogie Music, A-121 Chicago Jazz Album, and of course
A-131 Five Feet of Swing.  Do you mean these?

> These came our on the 12" counterpart of the 18xxx series. I have at
> least two of the albums (though WHERE is the current question?!).
> IIRC, the album covers were specific to the sets...?! Steven C. Barr

Of these, all were 10-inch except, of course, 5 Feet of Swing.  There
was a series of Capitol albums called History of Jazz, but those were
later.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com