[78-L] 78 album covers (was Album Covers & Sleeve info) (was: Alex Steinweiss article)

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Dec 30 19:25:58 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> From: "Steven C. Barr" <stevenc at interlinks.net>
>> Decca issued a series of "The History of Jazz" albums...
>> very low numbers, IIRC.
> The 1942 Decca catalog specifically describes A-182 Anthology of Colored
> Jazz "Another in the Decca series of historical jazz albums"  I don't
> see this description elsewhere, but I assume they are including  A-183
> Anthology of White Jazz.  Other possibilities are A-144 New Orleans
> Jazz, A-137 Boogie Woogie Music, A-121 Chicago Jazz Album, and of course
> A-131 Five Feet of Swing.  Do you mean these?

Yes...I didn't have the albums in front of me when I posted; however, the
fact
most of them were 10" enables me to note somethingI wasn't sure about...
that being that the records were on the 50c 18000 series before that became
Decca's "pop" series (1942-46). In fact they had red labels (or at least the
ones I own do...!). If I knew whereinell all my record catalogs wound up
after my landlady's cheap hired help "cleaned up" the joint, I could provide
more and better information...?!

Steven C. Barr