[78-L] Album covers & sleeve info

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Tue Dec 29 21:19:34 PST 2009

UK Parlophone (R-series) issued several series defined by a date, like
"The 1936 Super Rhythm Style Series".
The 10" London Archives/Origins Of Jazz LPs (from Riverside) have
printing dates on the back covers (the earlier issues can be found with several different dates ,
so they apparently had to reprint more often than expected).
German & French EPs/LPs also may have release dates (years, sometimes months).

Decca 78 album auctions frequently mention a 1940s date, from inner cover or booklet.
Indian HMV 78s from the 60s often give a date. I just found on ebay: N-55990 from 1970 !
There were also release dates on unnumbered early HRS issues, 1937-1939.

And don't forget patent dates, which some sellers present as release dates.
And '1919 Rag'. Or Elmore James, '1839 Blues'.

Interesting 78 sleeve art on some race sleeves (Paramount, Vocalion, Br, Vic).
Some early Grammofono Monarch sleeves (South American) had photos of the singers pasted on.

Han Enderman
===
>>> And then once the LP era came along, both Columbia and Victor went back to
generic covers for many of their late 78 classical albums!

Columbias began showing dates in tiny print on the front covers sometime after
the war, but these are copyright dates for the artwork. Don't Decca's booklets
often show a printing date?

dl

Ted Kneebone wrote:
> In going thru part of my "collection" of 78s, I find both albums and
> sleeves. (...)
> 3.  The sleeves are interesting. Acoustic sleeves sometimes have line
> drawings of the artist.  On the back are lists of other records by same
> artist, or other artist. The acoustic sleeves are really quite interesting:
> type styles, line drawings of artists, line drawings of phonographs, etc.
> The electric era was boring in comparison.
(...)
5.  Record companies of the day seemed to want to hide dates from the
consumers. I don't think I have a single record, album, or sleeve with a
date.  LP era didn't change that.