[78-L] Everyone Their Own Picasso ^, (was Marsalis makes the world safe for pure jazz^)

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Dec 26 04:50:43 PST 2009

eugene hayhoe wrote:
Well, I've been looking at the art of children since I was a child, and
while I'm no Picasso expert, I don't think I've ever been in danger of
confusing the two; same hold true for Pollack.

Although I'm a drummer, not a saxist, based on the couple of times I've
had a sax in my mouth, I'd guess that the number of untutored folks,
children or otherwise, who could randomly pick up a sax and make the
sounds that Ayler, Coltrane, Shepp, and so forth did is pretty minimal.
Just in the areas of instrumental tone and pitch range of notes produced
alone the minimum chops required are going to beat the 'kid,' let alone
playing melody lines, etc. Anyone who thinks they (Trane, Ayler, Shepp,
Coleman) are incompetent should check out the records all of these folks
made playing 'standards' and the like - they played the way they did by
choice, not inability to do anything else. I've always thought the way
people 'box up' art into a limited thing was bizarre.

Further, is an adult artist prohibited from working with
themes/motifs/ideas which children have interest in or also work in? Is
art still governed by the laws of outside 'legislators' at this late
point in human history?

Gene
================
I doubt if anyone who picked up a sax for the first time would be able
to get any sound out of it.

I remember a jazz writer in the 1970s, writing about Cecil Taylor.
Although he didn't like what he heard, he was certain that the guy knew
how to play the piano. Similarly, my partner and I were watching Taylor
on TV some years ago, and like the writer she didn't necessarily like
what he was playing, she was impressed by his pianistic skill. (Taylor
apparently admired Dave Brubeck's playing for its articulation.)

       Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4716 (20091225) __________

http://www.eset.com