[78-L] Everyone Their Own Picasso ^, (was Marsalis makes the world safe for pure jazz^)

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sat Dec 26 07:21:23 PST 2009

This discussion reminds me of the debate brought about in the
documentary My Kid Could Paint That. This film is about Marla
Olmstead, who was, at the time, 4 years old ands seen as a prodigy
painter of abstract art

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_kid_could_paint_that

It is alleged there and on a segment on 60 Minutes alleging that her
father actually painted the works. They are very Jackson Pollock like.

My point in mentioning it is not to determine whether or not she
painted the works, but rather the works themselves. IMHO, and only in
IMHO, they look like random splotches of paint throw on the canvas
and then smeared about. Even that isn't my point though.

My point is that it took the likes of Oprah Winnfrey to purchase one
and dub her a genius. At that point all of her lap-dogs came running
and HAD to have one too. They seemingly bought without questioning.
So can it be said that the general thing of art, whether it be
painting or music, is highly influenced by the fact the preference of
celebrities and NOT by artistic merit. In other words, could anyone
squawk a bit on a sax, release it, and if the likes of Oprah go
gaa-gaa for it, be dubbed a musical genius?

Could it possibly be that a majority of what we deem to be artistic,
musical, or cinematic genius is actually crap elevated to a position
of honour because an influential person likes it,and we just go along
so that we are seen as being like them?