[78-L] Shopping in places other than record stores^

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Dec 24 00:24:44 PST 2009

eugene hayhoe wrote:
United Superior (earlier Crown, the Biharis) still had a presence
outside of record stores then as well - I picked up several of the B.B.
King U/S titles in Krogers, for example.

Cutouts/remainders, that was the treasure; back then there were many
more general merchandise stores, discount and otherwise and most all of
them carried some kind of records. A store called Arlan's (the best of
them all in this town for discounted records) had a good share of the
Riverside catalog, 3/$1.00 plus hundreds more titles on Atlantic, Sphere
Sound, Epic, etc. Cleanhead with Cannonball, T-Bone Walker, Big Joe
Turner, Mose Allison, Jr. Mance, etc. Their cutouts section was larger
than most record stores were, and records were just a small part of what
they carried. Fabulous music at prices my lunch money could afford.

Gene
We have in the UK what I call "rock 'n' roll" stores whose proprietors
think they know about jazz. The LP (never 78s) stuff they carry is the
blandest you can imagine (Brubeck, Oscar Peterson, British Trad on
labels like Marble Arch, Pye Golden Guinea, etc). If they carry anything
that looks half-interesting, it usually means that it's the right label,
but the wrong artist or the right artist, but the wrong label!

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4713 (20091223) __________

http://www.eset.com