[78-L] Shopping in places other than record stores^

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Dec 24 20:02:32 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Julian Vein" <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk>
 Re: [78-L] Shopping in places other than record stores^
====
> Cutouts/remainders, that was the treasure; back then there were many
> more general merchandise stores, discount and otherwise and most all of
> them carried some kind of records. A store called Arlan's (the best of
> them all in this town for discounted records) had a good share of the
> Riverside catalog, 3/$1.00 plus hundreds more titles on Atlantic, Sphere
> Sound, Epic, etc. Cleanhead with Cannonball, T-Bone Walker, Big Joe
> Turner, Mose Allison, Jr. Mance, etc. Their cutouts section was larger
> than most record stores were, and records were just a small part of what
> they carried. Fabulous music at prices my lunch money could afford.
> ==========
> We have in the UK what I call "rock 'n' roll" stores whose proprietors
> think they know about jazz. The LP (never 78s) stuff they carry is the
> blandest you can imagine (Brubeck, Oscar Peterson, British Trad on
> labels like Marble Arch, Pye Golden Guinea, etc). If they carry anything
> that looks half-interesting, it usually means that it's the right label,
> but the wrong artist or the right artist, but the wrong label!

The Canadian "Dollarama" chain regularly features CD's that I suspect
are "cut-outs"...along with classical-music CD's which are sourced from
"One wots not?!"

Great music, but I have NO freaking idea from what it is/was copied...?!
I'll leave the details of the classical reissues to those whose interests
lie
in that direction...?!

Steven C. Barr