[78-L] Shopping in places other than record stores^

eugene hayhoe jazzme48912 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 23 17:45:58 PST 2009

United Superior (earlier Crown, the Biharis) still had a presence outside of record stores then as well - I picked up several of the B.B. King U/S titles in Krogers, for example.

Cutouts/remainders, that was the treasure; back then there were many more general merchandise stores, discount and otherwise and most all of them carried some kind of records. A store called Arlan's (the best of them all in this town for discounted records) had a good share of the Riverside catalog, 3/$1.00 plus hundreds more titles on Atlantic, Sphere Sound, Epic, etc. Cleanhead with Cannonball, T-Bone Walker, Big Joe Turner, Mose Allison, Jr. Mance, etc. Their cutouts section was larger than most record stores were, and records were just a small part of what they carried. Fabulous music at prices my lunch money could afford.

Gene