[78-L] R Pi Square?^ (was: Gradual pitch shifting, was Pitch shifting)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Dec 23 13:41:07 PST 2009

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> And pi are round. Corn bread are square. Somebody had to say it.  dl

No they didn't!!  Drat it David, you have brought back a very bad
memory.  When I lived in Columbia Missouri between 1972 and 74, we had
what was renown as the Worlds Worst Television Station, KCBJ.  They were
so desperate for money that they alone accepted the ads from The
Interstate Pancake House.  (NOT the International House of Pancakes.
The InterSTATE Pancake House.)  IT was owned by two brothers that were
hicks straight out of Hee Haw.  Their names were Ken and Del, but I do
not know what their last names were because they had their names legally
changed to Poor Ken and Lonesome Del.  I saw their checkbooks.  That was
what was on their checks.  One book had Poor Ken and the other had
Lonesome Del.  Anyhow, this is how their commercial went:

DEL: (Holding a pie)  Poor Ken, can you help me find the circumference
of this pie?

KEN:  Why sure, Lonesome Del, Don't you know that Pi R Square.

DEL:  (Looking at pie)  Noooooo, Pie R Round.

KEN:  No, Pi R Square.

DEL:  Pie R Round

KEN:  Pi R Square

DEL:  Pie R Round

KEN:  Pi R Square

DEL:  Pie R (throwing pie in Ken's face) Messy!

SOUND:  CUT IN QUICKLY A CHEAP LAUGH RECORD

VIDEO:  CUT TO LOGO OF INTERSTATE PANCAKE HOUSE

The problem is, while everybody HATED that commercial, the joint was
always packed.  It happened to be a GREAT pancake restaurant.  Really,
really, great.  And so, even Sheila and I went there occasionally.  It
proved the truth that sometimes the most hated TV commercials get good
results for the advertiser.

The other problem is that the formula was for the AREA of the pie, but
the ad said "circumference".  NOBODY NOTICED!!!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com