[78-L] R Pi Square?^ (was: Gradual pitch shifting, was Pitch shifting)

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Dec 23 16:27:41 PST 2009

Michael Biel wrote:

> From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>> And pi are round. Corn bread are square. Somebody had to say it.  dl
>
> No they didn't!!  Drat it David, you have brought back a very bad
> memory.

Unintentionally, I assure you..I first heard that gag on an LP in the early
60s. I think it was Brother Dave Gardner and it was probably hundreds of years
old THEN.

> The problem is, while everybody HATED that commercial, the joint was
> always packed.  It happened to be a GREAT pancake restaurant.  Really,
> really, great.  And so, even Sheila and I went there occasionally.  It
> proved the truth that sometimes the most hated TV commercials get good
> results for the advertiser.
>
> The other problem is that the formula was for the AREA of the pie, but
> the ad said "circumference".  NOBODY NOTICED!!!

You want to hear rotten commercials? There's a company in Toronto called Dodds,
which makes garage doors and openers. Somebody thought it would be a brilliant
idea to sing "Dum de da da dum da dum, Do Dodds, Do Dodds" and add a banjo.
Since then their spots have always been horrible reworking of Stephen Foster,
sung by idiots who wouldn't pass an audition in the privacy of their own
shower. And the sales departments accept these things and don't say a word.