[78-L] oBoo turning a blind eye to bootlegs?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Dec 21 17:51:16 PST 2009

> BTW, MY position...as a collector of 78rpm records...is that
> I wish that these recordings had existed in earlier decades!

Which recordings?  The specific concerts of Kiss and Ozzy Osborne, or
just the general concept of unauthorized concert recordings?  I think
that they DID exist back in the 78 era.  The Mapelson Cylinders of the
Met Opera could be considered in this category, and I have a set of
lacquers from around 1950 at 78 of a Jimmy Durante nightclub rehearsal
that was recorded in the club manager's office.  And, of course, there
was the BG Carnegie Hall concert!  Don't forget the Grammy that was
awarded last year to the release of the wire recording of a 1948(?)
Woody Guthrie concert.  Now these didn't get publically released until
later, but what about those Eddie Smith recordings and the Met
broadcasts that resulted in a lawsuit against the manufacturer of the
recording machine.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com