[78-L] Pathe recording process

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Dec 21 17:53:05 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bryan Wright" <bryan at claxtonola.com>
> Forgive me if this has been discussed before (I couldn't find an easy
> way to search the 78-L archives), but I've been wondering again about
> Pathe's acoustic recording process of creating a large cylinder master
> which was then dubbed to disc format. My question is, why do it? Given
> the crude dubbing techniques of the day, what advantages did this
> extra step have over traditional direct-to-disc recording techniques?
> Was it done for legal purposes? (Perhaps a means of evading some
> patent -- though I thought that issue was resolved by the
> early-1920s.) Was it a way to have a safety back-up in case of
> problems when processing the disc master?
> I understand from Sutton and Nauck's "American Record Labels"
> encyclopedia that Pathe originally developed the cylinder-to-disc
> dubbing process around 1906 to convert their large catalogue of
> cylinder recordings to the newly-adopted disc format, and that the
> process afforded some flexibility (the ability to convert a single
> cylinder master to a variety of cylinder and disc formats), but what
> would have been the benefit in the early 1920s when lateral-cut discs
> had become universally standard? Were the folks at Pathe considering
> re-entering the cylinder or vertical-disc markets kept alive by
> Edison? Or were they trying to remain "future-proof"? If the latter,
> they must have surely stored the cylinder masters long-term. Does
> anyone know what became of them?

As it turned out (and it is highly unlikely Pathe expected this...?!), the
process of making a single master recording in a non-customer-
playable format allowed them major flexibility in how the recordings
were to be issued to the public! In these early days, cylinder records
could NOT be easily/en masse duplicated...so there was NO need
to create "masters" in a consumer-friendly format.

C.1916, Pathe began dubbing its odd-sized cylinder "masters" in a
selection of formats...including lateral disc records. This probably
proved very profitable for them...?! I suspect they believed that
their sapphire-cut-vertical discs were the best possible format...
and chose to continue those well into the 1920's...?! By using
their own matrix format, they were in a position to sit back and
wait to see what would emerge as a standard format...?!

Steven C. Barr