[78-L] The Peacock Network

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Dec 21 01:12:23 PST 2009

martha wrote:
> Your message brought a memory to me; of being taken to our grandparents'
> house when there were color kiddie specials!

The first TV program I saw in color was Benny Goodman's "Swing Into
Spring" when the hotel we were staying at in Atlantic City had a color
TV viewing room.  The set malfunctioned and Benny and the boys turned a
livid shade of green before the end.

> We had only B&W - color didn't arrive at our house until Apollo 11
> arrived on the moon (just in time to see the B&W images from space)

My folks got their first color set in 1966 while I was away in college,
but we also got our own set when I got married and moved away in 1968 --
also in time for Apollo 11.

From: Malcolm Rockwell <malcolm at 78data.com>
> Remember those multi-colored plastic sheets you could put over
> your picture tube thus turning that boring, old black and white
> unit into a vibrant, new color model? Hah! Mal

I had been talking about them for decades when my brother in law got one
of those a couple of years ago, and they have one on display at the
Early Television Museum near Columbus Ohio.  Blue on the top for the
sky, green at the bottom for the grass, and orange in the middle for the
"flesh tones" in those pre-political correctness days. It would have
been interesting to use one of these for the Apollo 11 moon landing!
Green grass and blue sky on the moon!!!!!

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com