[78-L] Early portable electric recording?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Dec 21 01:06:52 PST 2009

From: "Bud Black" <banjobud at cfl.rr.com>

From: "Steven C. Barr" <stevenc at interlinks.net>

From: "Robert M. Bratcher Jr." <bratcher at pdq.net>

From: "Steven C. Barr" <stevenc at interlinks.net>
> I assume they were "rim drive." IIRC, a tape had to be
> played back on the machine on which it was recorded
> since the machines did NOT run at a standardized speed...?!

Bud's question was about a spring wound CAPSTAN machine, NOT a battery
motor machine without a capstan.   Yes, there were rim drive battery
motor machines, but that was NOT what the original question was about.
Did your AIWA have a spring wound motor?  No?  Did it have a capstan run
by that spring motor?  No?  Then why do you keep on bringing it up???
As I've already answered, the machine Bud Black asked about was a
Magnamite spring wound machine made by the Amplifier Corporation of
America, NOT a rim drive non-spring machine.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

From: "Steven C. Barr" <stevenc at interlinks.net>

From: "Robert M. Bratcher Jr." <bratcher at pdq.net>

From: "Steven C. Barr" <stevenc at interlinks.net>