[78-L] ^Colored vinyl records

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Dec 20 21:13:21 PST 2009

See end of long message...!
----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Biel" <mbiel at mbiel.com>
> From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>>> Actually, the guy just pressed those things for his own amusement.
>>> I know the dealer who bought them from the estate..TODAY they're
>>> collectible because of what they are, but he certainly had no
>>> intention at the time of getting rich by pressing fakes.
>
> From: "Steven C. Barr" <stevenc at interlinks.net>
>> The whole concept of defining "success" in financial terms is a
>> 21st-century idea!!
>
> Not only is this a stupid and off-topic reaction to the original
> statement -- nobody ever implied that the person was a "success" or not
> -- it happens itself to be a rather odd and wildly inaccurate
> pronouncement.  Using wealth as a measure of success is THOUSANDS of
> years old.  Did you mean 21st-century B.C.??
>
>> Sadly, we are going to see western civilization dissolve into an
>> XXI-Jahrhundert chase of "I GOT MORE MONEY THAN YOU GOT, ARSEHOLE!!!}
>
> This is NEW????????
>
>> To paraphrase the unknown quote...Money isn't everything, but it
>> is way ahead of everything else...!!!?
>
> I thought you measured "success" in the amount of 78s a person had in
> their milk crates!
>
>> I still hope to see some damphool stranded on a desert (Sahara) with
>> nothing but a large bag of currency!  Yup...?!?!?!  Steven C. Barr
>
> And what would YOU plan on doing if you found yourself stranded in the
> Sahara desert with nothing but milk crates full of (melting)
> 78s???????????

Okeh! My point was/is that in current times, MOST of the population wants
deperately to be not just RICH, but to be insanely (and impractically) rich!
Our CEO's all expect (and get) "bonuses" in the millions...sometimes in the
TENS of millions...and present-day athletes likewise! Then, having all of
this money, they spend it mainly on overpriced gew-gaws whose function
might best be defined as "Proving the owner is rich enough to afford this!"

Now, I realize this is NOT anything new (see under "Robber Barons of
the late 19th century"...!)! What IS new, though, is the total fascination
with making so much money that it is almost impossible to spend it all...
while trying to (1) prevent others from doing so, and (2) refusing to
assist anyone noticeably less fortunate!

Now, suppose one obtains, say, five million dollars! Well, first, one can
rush out and buy an "estate home"...that will be two, maybe three, million?
Throw in another half-million to furnish it in appropriate fashion. Then a
Rolls-Royce...another quarter-million (heck, why not buy two...?!)?!

You STILL have another million left to spend...?! If you invest it, it
will bring in still MORE money to be spent...?! Go out and have a
T-Bone steak dinner every day...at $100 per, that will use up $36,500
anually. The other $23,500 can buy you breakfasts and lunches, I
suppose...?! You have $950,000.00 left to spend! And then NEXT
year you have another five million to spend?!

Of course, you will have to spend a fair amount on security (including
armed guards), since there are all sorts of folks who will try to relieve
you of your money...so you will no longer have a nice easy life...?!

Oh, yeah...my 78's?! I DON'T accumulate these just so I can say, "I
got more records than YOU do...nyah nyah na na nyah nyah!" What
I am actually trying to do is to insure that as many 78's as possible
are and will be preserved...!

Steven C. Barr