[78-L] Colored vinyl records

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 18 20:33:24 PST 2009

Michael Biel wrote:
> Robert M. Bratcher Jr. wrote:
>>> The 8 inch Langworth records with 2 songs per side were done in
>>> blue vinyl
>
> Quite right.  We were still using them for novelty shows when I was at
> Temple University in the mid-60s and they were thick enough not have
> their slight transparency create any cueing problems.

They also play much better with a 1-mil stylus, and that includes the ones that
are apparently standard groove (later ones specified microgroove). Too much
inner groove distortion otherwise. You'd be surprised how clean some of them
sound with the smaller tip.

> From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
>> MacGregor also pressed some blue vinyl (opaque) 16-inch transcriptions.
>
> They had some Royal Blue Allied pressings on 10 and 12-inch.  I have
> some Columbia 16-inch Royal Blues, but I don't think you are referring
> to that for Allied MacGregors, are you?

Nope..I have at least one, a bit lighter than Royal Blue, not the quietest
stuff in the world, from 1945. Harry The Hipster on one side and Eadie & Rack
on t'other.