[78-L] Colored vinyl records

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Dec 18 20:25:58 PST 2009

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. wrote:
>> The 8 inch Langworth records with 2 songs per side were done in
>> blue vinyl

Quite right.  We were still using them for novelty shows when I was at
Temple University in the mid-60s and they were thick enough not have
their slight transparency create any cueing problems.

>> however the 16 inch discs with 4 songs per side were black.

Yeah, I haven't seen any LangWorth 16-inchers except in black.

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> MacGregor also pressed some blue vinyl (opaque) 16-inch transcriptions.

They had some Royal Blue Allied pressings on 10 and 12-inch.  I have
some Columbia 16-inch Royal Blues, but I don't think you are referring
to that for Allied MacGregors, are you?

> And some Lone Ranger transcriptions are on clear vinyl. dl

Ah, those are those milky RCA Victor pressings, right?  Partly opaque
and partly transparant.  Rather interesting when they have the spider
web back.  The wide grooving of ETs don't seem to cause cueing problems
on transparent records like transparent microgroove LPs.  It makes no
difference when we are considering 15-minute continuous programs, only
when we have to cue up multiple cuts within the side like with LP
albums. Picture records are also a bitch to cue up.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com