[78-L] Now you has jazz

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sun Dec 6 10:00:48 PST 2009

It may be that you see the band on screen, but they'd have been miming to a
pre-recording by the studio orchestra plus Shaw and Deems. This was standard
practice in films. Larry Adler tells the story of being in a film where he was
to play a solo against Guy Lombardo's Orchestra and he said he'd rather have
Duke Ellington, and won..Ellington's band was heard but not seen.

"In 1934, The Ellington orchestra accompanied Adler in a performance of
Sophisticated Lady for the film "Many Happy Returns". Neither the orchestra nor
Ellington are seen on screen, and the simple arrangement is by Jimmy Mundy. The
Guy Lombardo orchestra was originally scheduled for the scene, but Adler
insisted on using Ellington, who was on the Paramount lot to film "Murder at
the Vanities." Stratemann's information comes from a January '63 Jazz Journal
Adler interview."
http://www.depanorama.net/dems/01dems3b.htm (scroll to bottom for this)

dl