[78-L] Now you has jazz

Jan Hovers janhovers at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 6 09:42:42 PST 2009

I am sorry, after many years posting an incidental message to this forum, I still don't understand how to post to a thread; forgive me.

David, you are great. I am grateful for your reply; it answers all my questions. Although I have to say that there isn’t an orchestra on Now you has jazz. It is only the Armstrong All Star Band.

Thanks!

Jan

According to Lord, it is indeed Johnny Green and the MGM Studio Orchestra on
Now You Has Jazz with Arvell Shaw and Barrett Deems, and Louis Armstrong And
His Band on High Society Calypso, which was the flip side of the single.

 From Lord:

Now you has jazz
[A5899-7] Louis Armstrong
High Society: (Feature Film):
Louis Armstrong (tp,vcl) Trummy Young (tb,perc-1) Edmond Hall (cl,perc-1) Billy
Kyle (p,g-1) Arvell Shaw (b) Barrett Deems (d) Bing Crosby (vcl) plus MGM
studio orchestra added (2) Johnny Green (cond)
pre-recordings, MGM soundtage, Hollywood, January 6-18, 1956
     High society calypso (la vcl,1)    Capitol W750, Rhino R2 72827 [CD], Duchesse
         (Eu)352013 [CD], MCA (G)2292-57202-2 [CD]
     Now you has jazz (la,bc vcl)    Capitol W750, Rhino R2 72827 [CD], R2
79805 [CD]
         Duchesse (Eu)352013 [CD], The Entertainers
         (Eu)CD0250 [CD]
     Little one (bc vcl, 2)    Capitol W750, Rhino R2 72827 [CD]
     I love you, Samantha (bc vcl, 2)    Capitol W750, Rhino R2 72827 [CD], R2
79805 [CD]
     I love you, Samantha (fast reprise)                       -               -
     Here comes the bride    (unissued)
Note: Recording dates from Rhino liner notes. Previously published dates of
"April 20" and "May 7" are Capitol mastering dates from MGM-supplied material.
The film was released August 3, 1956. It has been made available on videotape.
Only titles with Louis Armstrong are listed here.
Those titles on Capitol W750 also on Capitol (E)LCT6116, (G)SMK83058,
(Jap)CP7413, (F)CO48-50714, (G)2CO48-50714, EMI (Sp)2-90014, World Record Club
(Aus)R00557.
Duchesse (Eu)352013 [CD] titled "Louis Armstrong - What A Wonderful World"; see
flwg sessions to  August, 1970 for rest of CD.

dl