[78-L] Verve Label Colours

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Nov 28 08:11:34 PST 2009

Ricky doesn't sing on Honey Rock, although there is a female vocal (not doing
all that much). Ricky recorded only 3 songs. AGP's link tells the whole story.

Since Verve was primarily a jazz label, hit singles wouldn't be much of a
priority..the whole Ricky Nelson thing was a fluke, with Ricky wanting to
impress a girlfriend, Ozzie getting Barney Kessel's cooperation as an old
friend, Verve suddenly finding itself with a hit record it wasn't prepared to
press in quantity, and Imperial glad to take Ricky off Verve's hands.

dl