[78-L] 'On Mobile Bay'

John Maeder appywander at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 18 12:42:46 PST 2009

Jack,
Thanks for the additional information on 'On Mobile Bay'.  I wasn't aware that Dalhart had recorded it, but that doesn't surprise me!  My interest is not so much in the song, but in that particular dance band version I once owned.  It was a maroon/red label 'Harmony' electric -- not the earlier acoustic 'scheme' 'Harmony Disc Record' with the large center hole.  The dance band recording I refer to was very loud and clear -- brilliant sound -- very 'microphonic' like a good electrical recording of that era should sound.  The tenor banjo work was stand-out, as was the ensemble vocal refrain.  I would love to have a copy of that record again!  Hell, I'd love to just know who recorded it!