[78-L] Tom Cruise - HMV label - Wagner Opera................ a connection

Steve Ramm steveramm78l at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 16 12:11:12 PST 2009

In response to a mention in my column in "In The Groove" this month about Deutsch Grammophon's 111 birthday celebration this year, Oliver Berliner sent me the following note, which I thought worth sharing:

2008 saw the release of the Tom Cruise starrer, Valkyrie, chronicling the 15th and last failed attempt on Hitler's life, which features an incredible visual re-creation. There's a close-up of the Deutsche Grammophon 1928  12" recording of  Wagner's Walkueri (played by the Berliner Philharmoniker), which shows the disc spinning on a Grammophon (German spelling),  then a "freeze" on a closeup of the label which features the "HMV" trade-mark with a golden tinge to Nipper that at first glance makes it appear to be in color, though it's not. It's fully readable and if you push the "pause" button on your player you can note all of the details pertaining to the record.

DG informs me that their labels did indeed have a greenish or golden tinge at the time. But, the film's director tells me that the re-creation was totally computer-generated. Amazing. And of course the aria plays an important role in the film and is the picture's title.

The dialog is hard to follow.  So tell your readers that they can select English, French or Spanish soundtrack, as well as separately select English, French or Spanish subtitles, if desired. (Rather than none at all, I selected English "subs" which was quite helpful.) Rent the film from Netflix or buy it from Amazon.

Steve Ramm