[78-L] Pressed in WHAT material...

Milan P Milovanovic milanpmilovanovic4 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 06:10:03 PST 2009

Hello list members,

I came across this article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shellac

Also this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite

Both claimed that "some" records were made from bakelite:

"Until the advent of vinyl around the 1940s, most gramophone records were pressed from shellac compounds (although some were made from bakelite)"

"Recording cylinders produced by the Edison Electric Company (now General Electric) and 78-rpm phonograph records were originally made of Bakelite. "

I would like to know if such statements are close to the truth. I always thought that no bakelite was used in phonograph record production.

Thanks,

Milan