[78-L] Pressed in WHAT material...

Royal Pemberton ampex354 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 06:36:03 PST 2009

Polyvinyl chloride was developed in the 1930s, and was used for pressing
transcriptions almost immediately.  It wasn't used for commercially released
records until the late 1940s.

Very early cylinders were a kind of wax compound, but by the 1890s a harder
compound Edison came to describe as a 'metallic soap' was used.  The Lambert
company was one of the first to use celluloid to mould his cylinders from
(these cylinders had a cardboard core), and Edison began using celluloid for
his Blue Amberol cylinders (using a plaster of Paris core).

You are correct, AFAIK bakelite was never used for record manufacture.