[78-L] Collectors and 'hoarders'

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Nov 11 21:50:28 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cary Ginell" <soundthink at live.com>
> Yes, a few that were still in my area I was able to go through. Mostly,
> people already have made arrangements to dispose of collections as a
> whole, which means only those with names like Nauck can afford to buy
> them. We piecemeal collectors can't shell out five-to-ten grand or more to
> buy someone's archive.

Fortunately, I've been able to acquire collections VERY cheap! Paid Don
Keele $150 for what
was left of a large collection he had acquired (Don always sold 78's VERY
cheaply after he
had them for a month or so!); bought another thousand-odd 78's acquired by a
local record
store for $50...and bought about 1500 78's that a chap had left at the end
of last year's
CCC for another $150 or so. As well, a local woman gave me her late father's
78's...!

Steven C. Barr