[78-L] REcord "collectors"? Record (and more) "hoarders"?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Nov 11 20:52:02 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave at Audio Tech Transfer" <audiotechtransfer at bresnan.net>
> Now here's a subject I can relate to.
> When my Grandpa moved from his house to an assisted living facility twenty
> years ago, I drove to Pittsburgh to help clean out the house.  I remember
> one bedroom filled floor to ceiling with empty cardboard boxes.  Never
> know when you'll need a box!  The entire house was packed with decades of
> clutter.  One of my uncles has totally filled three houses with
> "antiques."  He still has his 1958 Oldsmobile convertible, under a tarp
> outdoors.  It is a worthless pile of rust, ravaged by decades of moisture
> in the Pennsylvania mountains.

HOWEVER...
You MUST note that the items happily purchased these days at "ye antique
shoppe" only still
exist because some "crazy" hoarder decided to save them!

Items go through at least three distinct stages...

1) BRAND new...and thus proudly owned!

2) Obsolete...still works/runs/etc. but definitely "out of date" and thus
often
considered not valuable!

2a) "Why are you still trying to use that old <wotever>?!"

3) "Valuable antique!" VERY expensive in many cases!

I can recall my grandmother (b. 1886) accompanying me to a "flea
market" full of antiques (1970's). She said, "You know, I used to own
a lot of these things...but I threw them away a long time ago!"

Steven C. Barr