[78-L] For those married folks, how does your spouse fell about your record collection?

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Mon Nov 9 20:00:00 PST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: <fnarf at comcast.net>
> My wife has participated in the record collecting to a large degree, but I
> think it's safe to say that by now she HATES IT. Takes up space we can't
> afford. Dust, clutter, filing -- she hates it, all right. Bringing new
> records into the house is simply not an option, I've learned; it's much
> more likely to be a case of her holding up a stray box and saying "what
> about THESE, can we get rid of THESE?".
>
> I can sort of see her point. It's a good thing they're all in the
> basement, otherwise the whole house would fall over backwards. I remember
> reading on this mailing list a long time ago a discussion of weight and
> bulk, culminating in one poster exclaiming that he had to run, he just
> realized he had the equivalent of a 1958 Buick sitting in his attic, right
> over the bedroom!

Well, I currently own about 28 tons of shellac...only the Canadian dairy
industry is in a position
to object to my 78's (I'm illegally using about 300+ of their milk boxes;
however, most of these
are the older size...they changed the size so they would no longer serve to
store LP's!).

My house was built in 1869...apparently VERY sturdily! The 1886 Victorian I
lived in in
Toronto wasn't nearely as well built...I had to move all my 78's to the
basement, after the
weight of my 78's began causing cracks in plaster...

Steven C. Barr