[78-L] Bert 'n' Eddie

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Nov 7 23:26:11 PST 2009

Robyn Astaire has blocked distribution of the three TV shows in the
Evening With Fred Astaire series because -- believe it or not -- they
were OVER-RESTORED!!!  An EMMY was awarded to the engineers who with
great difficulty and a bit of luck got the first program to play in
color from a tape that was made on a modified machine using a color
modulation system that was experimental.  There were several
pre-recorded sections that were played into the air tape, so when the
engineers used the original inserts instead of the second generation
tape that had originally been broadcast -- and bragged to her that the
program now looks better than it did when it was broadcast -- she
withdrew rights because it was over-restored.  This was told to me a
couple of years ago by the man who headed the restoration team.

Brian Gari has been known to take DVD's of some of his grandfather's
P.D. films from dealers' tables because he had not authorized them.  But
he has done yeoman work in producing CDs of his grandfather's broadcasts
and alternate takes with engineering from the original masters by Seth
Winner.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com