[78-L] Billy Murray Memorial, anoter mention

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 31 22:30:44 PDT 2009

Not that the current occupants (if any, if it still exists) might be
cooperative, but this is the kind of thing that makes more sense. Doesn't
always work out, though..about 20 years ago, attempts were made to honor
Beatrice Lillie, born in Toronto. As I recall, they found the house where she
lived as a small child but couldn't persuade the owners to have anything to do
with this project..or to get them to speak English. Eventually they declared a
nearby library on Queen Street "hers", although she probably never opened a
book in her life..last I heard, the library was either closed or part of an
area slated for redevelopment....

Prince Philip was there for the dedication, as was I. CBC was affected by a
strike by CUPE members at the time so we didn't even do anything on the air
about it. Only in Canada, you say?

dl